The Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) 1361 Park Street Clearwater, FL 33756. The program provides technical and educational experiences that prepare the graduate for the position as a surgical technologist in the operating room and to meet the eligible criteria to sit for the national certification examination sponsored by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). New classes begin in the summer semester of each year. Applications are processed prior to the actual beginning of the surgical technology program. Students desiring admission to the program must first meet the basic entrance requirements for Temple College and then apply for admission to the Surgical Technology program. Enrollment is limited and admission is competitive. Special program admission criteria and procedures are necessary to be accepted into this program.
Program Admission Criteria
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. It is required that prospective students attend a pre-application Surgical Technology Information Session.
2. Complete the Temple College admission procedure and achieve admission to Temple College.
3. Pass all sections of the ATI TEAS pre-entrance departmental aptitude test with a minimum 60% composite score.
4. Complete a Surgical Technology Program Admission Application.
5. Provide official transcripts of course grades. Biological science courses must be no older than five (5) years at time of application. Applicants must have a minimum of a “C” or better in in all course work.
6. Completion of the above admission criteria does not guarantee admission to the Surgical Technology Program. The highest qualified applicants will be ranked according to the program admissions criteria. Eighteen (18) qualified applicants will be accepted into the program after an interview process.
7. Upon conditional acceptance into the program, the following must be provided:
- Complete History & Physical Exam with proof of required immunizations
- Complete clear background check
- CPR Certification for Health Care Providers
Uniforms in the classroom and to clinical rotations will consist of a Caribbean blue scrub suit with name badge, white knee-length lab coat and professional shoes.
Students are provided opportunity to join the Association of Surgical Technologists. Additional information concerning a career as a surgical technologist is available at www.ast.org
Work Policy Statement - All student activities associated with the curriculum, especially while students are completing their clinical rotations, will be educational in nature. Students will not receive monetary compensation during this educational experience, nor will they be substituted for hired staff personnel with the clinical institution, in the capacity of a surgical technologist.
Requirements for Associate of Applied Science Degree in Surgical Technology
To graduate with a Temple College Associate of Applied Science degree in Surgical Technology, the following requirements must be met:
- Complete all Surgical Technology and academic curriculum courses with a grade of “C” or better with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 to be eligible for graduation.
- Complete program required clinical competencies
- Pass the Surgical Technology Exit Examination with a grade of “C” or better
- Sit for the Association of Surgical Technology National Certification Examination
- Three semester hours of English: ENGL 1301
- Three semester hours of Medical Terminology: HITT 1305
- Four semester hours of Human Anatomy & Physiology: BIOL 2404 ; four semester hours of Microbiology: BIOL 2420 (Biology classes must be no older than 5 years; this is waived for working CST’s.)
- Three semester hours in Social Behavioral Science: PSYC 2301
- Three semester hours in Language. Philosophy, Culture or Creative Arts to be selected from the disciplines of art, history, literature, music, speech and theater. Students may select one course of three hours credit or several courses totaling three semester hours credit.
- Three semester hours of elective: ECON 2301 , BUSI 1301 , or SOCI 1301 (TAMU-C Degree Pathway suggestions)
- Three semester hours of Speech: SPCH 1311 SPCH 1315 SPCH 1318 SPCH 1321
- At least 60 semester hours of course credit, exclusive of all 0000-level courses.
- Included in the 60 hours of course work must be all of the required surgical technology courses for a total of 33 hours credit.
- The student must be enrolled in Temple College during the semester of his/her graduation.
- Complete at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for the degree at Temple College.
- For any variation from the above prescribed requirements to be counted toward graduation, a written statement to this effect, signed by the Surgical Technology Department Director and the Vice President of Educational Services must be on file in the student’s record folder.